Tuesday, November 4, 2008

90's Classic

Everclear. The biggest band in the world if you are still stuck in 95/96. I really like Everclear, Art Alexakis' voice is pretty raw and reminds me of the beach and Los Angeles instantly. Coincidentally, most of their songs are about L.A.

Santa Monica - first time I saw this video I only saw a part after the titles went away. I waited and watched MTV until it came on again. I found out it was "Everclear" and I made my mom take me to buy the single on tape haha.
"swim out past the breakers, watch the world die." - Everclear

Everything to Everyone - I am instantly reminded of a time when I waited for this song to come on the radio, so I could TAPE it! Makes me think of my parent's divorce. That guitar sound is so iconic now, Everclear made the little sounds popular to kids like us, so that we would one day grow up and discover the roots to this type of music. Kraftwerk and New Order. Pop and Electronic, yet alternative.


Father of Mine- Did anyone else remember this song fitting perfectly into your life. My dad would always do this to me, call and never show up. I personally related to every word in this song. "you would take me to the movies, take me to the beach,take me to a place inside that's so hard to beat."

"Father of mine, tell me what do you see, when you look back at your wasted life and you don't see me."
My dad is getting a senior discount right now, at Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad, Ca, a suburb of San Diego. Eating a steak. He eats there every day, despite having a heart attack a few months ago. Lives off disability, sees a movie by himself everyday. It scares me to talk to him. If everything in my life fails, and all my plans and goals and aspirations turn to shit, I will be him.

Fire Maple Song - Just heard this song for the first time. Definitely one of their most emotional songs, relating again to his troubles with his father. A dark and heavy jam fo show


If your interested: Here's a bio on him from WIKI

Art Alexakis suffered through a troubled youth, beginning with his father walking out when Alexakis was a child. Financial hardships pushed his family into the slums of Los Angeles, where Alexakis fell to the lure of heavy drug use. During his teenage years, Alexakis was shuttled around the country between various family members (including a brief period in Houston living with his father's new family), but the drug addiction persisted. Eventually, Alexakis suffered a near-fatal cocaine overdose, which finally pushed him to clean up.

In the late 1980s, Alexakis played in a short-lived rock band in Los Angeles called Shakin' Brave, where he began to hone his songwriting skills. Frustrated by the inattention of the L.A. music scene, Art relocated to San Francisco, where he fell into the then-burgeoning cowpunk scene.

Art founded a label called Shindig Records, which attempted to document the SF cowpunk scene. He began recording material of his own for a solo album, but it eventually evolved into a group project called Colorfinger. Art Alexakis utilized the pseudonym "A.D. Nation" while writing/recording with Colorfinger. While involved with Colorfinger, Art wrote several songs which would later find success as Everclear songs, including "The Twistinside", "Heartspark Dollarsign", and "Why I Don't Believe in God".

In a single month in 1992, Shindig failed (when its distributor went bankrupt), Colorfinger broke up, and Art learned that his girlfriend was pregnant. Seeking a change of location, Art and his girlfriend moved to her hometown, Portland, Oregon. There, he placed an ad in local music weekly The Rocket, which earned two responses: bass player Craig Montoya and drummer Scott
Cuthbert. The new band, Everclear, began recording in a friend's basement, essentially bartering for recording time with musical gear and whatever limited funds they could scrounge up. The sessions culminated in two releases: the Nervous & Weird EP and the band's first full-length release World of Noise, both released by Portland's Tim/Kerr Records in 1993. Frustrated by Tim/Kerr's limited resources, Alexakis hired independent promoters to help push the album. Eventually, it became obvious that Everclear needed to find a bigger player to help them reach their audience.

To read the rest of their bio, go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(band)

No comments: